Monday, June 19, 2006

 

Day 1 - St Helens, Oregon - June 19th, 2006


Weather: Sunny 60s F (20s C)
Location: St Helens, Oregon
Miles per day: 70.2
Average miles per hour: 12.90

Today was a challenge far beyond any of my training. That said, it was a great day. We had our official photo at the hotel and headed out about 7:30 AM. I was humbled by the scores of older folks (70 plus) on this trip who are cruising past me at 17 MPH. I had the honours for bringing up the rear. That said, I did stop a few places along the way: Gnats Fish Hatchery, Bradley Park, Trojan Park (with its own nuclear plant).

We followed the Lewis and Clark Trail who in 1805 made it to the Oregon Coast. (more on this later). Most of the day was spent following the Colombia River with beautiful views.

The challenge of the day was sharing the road with mammoth logging trucks barrelling down past me at 70 mph. There's good reason I bought trip insurance.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?