Wednesday, June 28, 2006

 

Day 6 - Baker City, Oregon - June 24th 2006





Weather: Sunny
Location: Baker City (from John Day)
Miles per day: 85
Average miles per hour: 10.22

Today was mentally and emotionally challenging! Following yesterday's 117 miles, I knew today was going to be tough and my strategy was to start at 6:00 am, substituting cold pizza for normal group breakfast. However, I was not prepared for the brutal 5,000 plus foot climb over 3 mountains (Dixie Mountain, Tifton Mountain and Snall summit). Nor was I prepared for the lack of access to food along the way. No lunch. I was feeling weak. It was not easy. In the end, I triumphantly and jubilantly pulled into Baker City looking for a cold beer.

In spite of the difficulty, there were many stunning views of the mountains and the valleys. Again, with the excuse of taking photos, I stopped frequently to rest and ponder. After completing the 3 climbs, we coasted into Baker City riding along the John Day River. The excitement came as we watched a local 'four stage' bike race which was commencing in downtown Baker City.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?