Saturday, July 01, 2006

 

Day 13 - Blackfoot, Idaho- July 1st 2006



Weather: Sunny 95
Location: Blackfoot, Idaho (from Burley, Idaho)
Miles per day: 11o
Average miles per hour: 13.65
Elevation climb: very little/very flat
Blizzards/Ice Cream to date: 12 (3 today!!!)
Flat Tires to date: 1

An incredible ride today - 110 miles on rolling (but relatively flat) terrain along the Snake River. More potato and wheat fields. Irrigation systems are amazing to see up close.

I am really enjoying Idaho for one reason only: THE POTATO - my all time favourite food! Blackfoot is the "Potato Capital of the World", because it has the largest potato industry in Idaho, the United States, and even the world. It is home to the Idaho Potato Expo (a museum and gift shop that displays and explains the history of Idaho's potato industry), which is home to the world's largest baked potato and potato chip.

Today we were along the Snake River Plain from Idaho Falls, past the American River Falls heading towards Wyoming. The Snake River is 1,038 miles (1,670 km) in length, and is the Columbia River's main tributary. The Snake originates near the Continental Divide in Yellowstone Park, Wyoming and flows south through Jackson Lake (in Grand Teton National Park). The river flows down Wyoming's Snake River Canyon, then enters Idaho.

Well today was Day 13, nearly two weeks of cycling and as I may have mentioned before, it has been a physical challenge, possibly due to the fact that I was not able to do the full recommended training. However, I am here to say that within two weeks I have adjusted to the sometimes grueling regime (Centuries are grueling but enjoyable). Two months ago, apart from my Brompton Fold Up, I had not cycled for several years. One month ago, I was just doing 26 miles per day (actually, the intention was to cycle 40 miles per day but my odometer was reading 40 MPH but actually set to KILOMETERS, so only 26 miles per day). But this is something I have dreamed of doing and I realised this summer was a great window of opportunity. Ready or not, I had to give it a go.... As they say, Carpe Diem! And so far, so great....

The next few days will continue to be a challenge - Day 15 is a 5,000 foot climb (4,000 feet to 9,000 feet) into the Grand Tetons followed by an additional 2 days of big mileage and finally capping it off with a 120 mile ride. Wish me luck!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?