Monday, July 10, 2006

 

Day 22 - Rapid City - July 10th 2006

Weather: Cloudy/Overcast and cool
Location: Rapid City, SD (from Hot Springs, SD)
Miles per day: 72
Average miles per hour: 10.93
Elevation climb: 6,033 (record to date!)
Blizzards/Ice Cream to date: 16
Flat Tires to date: 1

Today was the best and the worst of cycling and trip life. The cycling (as far as I am concerned) could not get any tougher. At one point, I saw a sign for the cities of 'Deadwood and Lead' - nothing could sum up better how I was feeling! It was a climb of 6,033 feet and often times misleading (what seemed like ascending descents). But life could not get any better. By 11:00 AM, I had my first daily dose of DQ's Cookie Dough Blizzard. The sightseeing was fantastic all day and probably the best yet on the trip. Although after all the climbing today, I did have thoughts of, well, selling out on the bike!


Early morning, we passed through Black Hills National Park with our fair share of Bison and Prairie Dogs. The Bison were amazing to see up close. Such beautiful creatures looking so dainty but don’t be fooled, the signs were everywhere: ‘beware of bison’. We were able to get within 100 feet of one of them who did make it clear that it was his territory.


We then passed out of the park and headed towards ‘Crazy Horse Memorial Park’, an impressive sight where they are carving ‘Crazy Horse’ into a rock. From my visit 20 years ago, there sure was progress. Following that, we travelled towards Mount Rushmore. Whilst the pedaling through the Black Hills is something I could do without, I am not sure it can get any better coming around the corner (in physical pain) seeing George Washington’s profile. It was a glorious site. We continued on to get the four presidents (Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln). It was an amazing site. They continue to improve the visitors attraction and its all done in spectacular but tasteful fashion.

We then headed into the town of Keystone, a very tacky but cute tourist town. RVs were everywhere. After ‘sagging’ for some time, without further procrastination, we headed for Rapid City. The elevation map indicated a downhill ride. Again, I beg the differ. We climbed, climbed and climbed to Rapid City. I at one point did find a convenient sign for my bike (Sale Pending – see photo) as all I could think was that I could not go another mile.









Comments:
Hi Annie! I just wanted to say "gambatte" one more time! You trip is amazing. I'm from the U.S. but I have never seen the Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore national monuments. You're doing so well. I am so envious you that got to see the Grand Tetons too! I miss working in that park.

Gambatte!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?