Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 

Day 24 - Pierre, SD - July 12th 2006


Weather: Sunny 105 (scorching hot and very nasty Headwinds)
Location: Pierre, SD (from Wall (drug), SD
Miles per day: 117.1
Average miles per hour: 11.23
Elevation climb: to be completed
Blizzards/Ice Cream to date: 16
Flat Tires to date: 1

I will keep this short. Today was brutal (or vicious may be a better word). Headwinds, Heat and Hydration (or lack of) made for a most difficult day for all. In fact, all of the cyclist concluded that this was the toughest day of cycling they ever did.

It was predicted to be a long day (117.1) but there usually is a tailwind. Today was not the case. For nearly 100 of the 117 miles, there was a Headwind. What's the impact? Well at one point, with a grade 6% downhill, I had to pedal (hard) to get a speed of 11 mph. Normally, a cyclist can coast and go 20 mph. Every inch today had to be earned through sheer Guts, Tenacity and Perserverance. I have little talents, but I do have the these key ingredients of G, T and P. It was a mental day of sheer steely determination for 14 hours! I'm also greatful to Stu and Lois (my co-riders who egged me on). Let's hope tomorrow the winds are in our favour. I am not sure I could do another day of this.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?