Thursday, July 13, 2006

 

Day 25 - Chamberlain, SD - July 13th 2006

Today was the halfway point in terms of days and mileage. The trip is going by fast. It was appropriate that yesterday was the pinnacle of pain. 'Whatever doesn't break you, makes you' is the quote I live by and is what I have been thinking about all day. After yesterday's grueling day, today was just a breeze - and I perhaps learned, as in life, 'tomorrow will be a better day!'

The physical challenge of this trip (and my lack of training) has left me a reputation of lying on the ground if I am not on the bike. Therefore, it was appropriate that I am lying next to the '1/2 way mark' with my fellow cyclist Lois.

Posted by Picasa

Weather: Overcast, 95
Location: Chamberlain, SD (from Pierre, SD)
Miles per day: 83.4
Average miles per hour: 14.39
Elevation climb: 2106 feet
Blizzards/Ice Cream to date: 16
Flat Tires to date: 1


We traveled 85 miles through the Sioux Indian Reservation along the Missouri River, a spectacularly beautiful river with deep hues of blue and green. We had tailwinds, cloud coverage and little climbing. Possibly with an adrenaline rush from yesterday, I had my fastest day (in terms of completion) wrapping up the day by 2pm.


Today we met a group of cyclist who were blazing their way across the Oregon Trail (in reverse)from Seaside, Oregon to St. Louis, Missouri in just 44 days (http://www.historicaltrailscycling.com). It was great catching up with fellow cycle enthusiasts and catching a different perspective (the tour is a group of 12 who are camping). Here, Tom Armstrong takes a break.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?