Sunday, July 16, 2006

 

Day 28 - Sioux Falls, SD - A rest day

Today was a well needed rest day. Both bike and engine needed a tune up. I have done just over 2200 miles on my bike. This means new tires, new chain, new cassette and a good tune up. I had no idea the investment required for a bike. Perhaps even with gas going to $3.00 a gallon, a car still may be cheaper. One chap spent over $500 on his bike! I can't afford these days off.

Now for the engine, I mainly needed a Pizza (I am really missing UK Pizza Express), beer and some extra sleep. With temperatures over 100 degrees (35 plus celsius), outdoor activity was limited. But with a day off, it was a good time to re-group! Organising my technology (PC, Camera(s), phone(s), recharger(s), ipod, storage, email, photos and numerous cables) is nearly a full time job. And yes, I can see most of you laughing at the thought of this! When will that universal cable exist? And what did we do before all this stuff? On this trip, daily logistics can be quite challenging. Each night, all must be unpacked and repacked as each day, we move to the next hotel. At times, I feel like I need a CIA security sweep following me out of the hotel room. Check, double-check, triple-check seems to be the standard. As most of us have learned the hard way, it is so easy to leave something behind (e.g plugs, rechargers, swimsuits, t-shirts). You name it, someone (or perhaps just me!) on the trip has managed to leave it.

Last week, we hit some rain. Drivers have told us, it is very difficult to see us. So Lois and I are taking no chances, we headed out to get our 'glow in the dark' yellow jackets just to be sure.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?