Sunday, July 23, 2006

 

Day 35 - Manitowac, WI - July 23th 2006

Weather: Sunny
Location: Manitowac, WI (from Fond Du Lac, WI)
Miles per day: 57
Average miles per hour: 14.65 (very fast day!)
Elevation climb: Negligible...
Blizzards/Ice Cream to date: 26
Flat Tires to date: 1

Today was a day of achievements and not just for Floyd Landis! With just 57 miles today, I thought I would up my game. Despite departing Fond du Lac with a few wrong turns, we set out along Lake Winnebago. Terrain was very flat all day with lots of farms. Much of the area is Amish Country and as today was Sunday, many were going off to church (see photos). In this hectic world, it does seem to be a very peaceful lifestyle.


Posted by Picasa
Whilst it was a cool day, my day heated up as the Wolf Pack cruised by me as if I was standing still (as they do everyday). Feeling energetic, I decided to go for a chase. I set out after them and I stunned even myself, as tucking into their draft, I was able to hang with them until the first sag stop (about 14 miles). Was it really me??? or perhaps did they just slow down to humor me? Perhaps a bit of both, although today was one of my fastest 'average speed days' (without the benefit of a tailwind). Here Pete (UK) and Ron (CA) of the Wolfpack join me at Wolf Lake.

Posted by Picasa
This is big stuff - after 35 days on a bike, I finally gave 'drafting' a try. Drafting is defined as tailing a fellow rider just feet from their bike with the benefit of putting in less effort. In fact, I could pedal less and go faster. Great stuff but be warned! Before leaving on this trip, I sought advise from several of my siblings. My aeronautical brother insisted that I draft, as it would save me 'at least' 25-30% effort. He said 'with your training, you will need all the help you can get'. My experienced cycling brothers warned me of the hazards of drafting, after they ended in an Amersterdam Canal! Drafting can be quite dangerous as so often times, for many reasons (and even for experienced riders), the bikes collide and everyone falls. Their advise: 'ride your ride'. I must say this has turned out to be excellent advise, especially in the early weeks. However, today, I felt a bit daring - the road surface was excellent and my fellow cyclists were well aware that I was a novice so I decided to give it a go. No accidents! Great fun. Although, I did miss my usual group, 'The Final Four'.

Lois and Stu stopped in to find out about Mandelas (see paintings on barn). The 85 year old woman was outside cutting grass and gave them the full story. She had bought the barn and needed to do something with it so started painting Mandelas which are meant as a form of spirtual healing. She has painted several all around the area. She says many people will come and sit in her yard to be healed. Here Lois demonstrates!

We completed the day as usual with a Culver Concrete Mixer (Wisconsin's equivalent to a Blizzard). I look forward to finding DQ again!
Following that, Stu demonstrates (not intentionally) that toe
clips will get you every time. NB: Falling is very painful (worse than falling on a snowboard!).








As we leave Wisconsin today, I can only sum it up that:
1- There are beer taverns on every street corner.
2- Cows and farms are everywhere. WI produces 8.25 billion pounds of cheese, the most of any state. The average American consumes 30 pounds of cheese
annually.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?