Saturday, August 19, 2006

 

Trip Summary




"According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed to make life where we were and as we lived it better, brighter and more beautiful"


Frank Lloyd Wright.


After 50 days and a few days rest, the thrill of completing such a challenge is exhilrating. With the sight of the ocean, my emotions overcame me with tears of joy and happiness. Had I really made it all 3780 miles, climbing over 110,000 feet? CHECK OUT THE MAP http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=105016220074415919612.000442fe95f82cf857b57&ll=56.944974,-77.519531&spn=40.216836,163.476563&z=3&om=1 It was a most remarkable journey with physical, mental and emotional challenges conquered by all on this trip, and to my surprise, even myself. Trip of a lifetime!




On the eve of the trip, like many, I was wondering if I was really prepared for the adventure that lay ahead. As we rounded the room with introductions, it became apparent these people were clearly skilled cyclists who had prepared months and possibly years for this trip and included some Olympic and World Class Athletes, some trip Alumni and some who cycled 4000 plus miles. Most were doing it for the love of cycling.
Then there was me. I dare not say it, I was not doing this for the love of cycling (after all I was a novice, not even ever having changed a flat tire). I was in it for the love of the outdoors and backwoods of America. I wanted to embrace, savour, smell, feel, taste, touch, enjoy and experience America at the grass roots – to see it every inch of the way! In April, I stumbled upon the opportunity of a free summer which coincided with my life long dream that has been itching me for years. And as the saying goes ‘if you have an itch, scratch it!’ Arriving in the US and buying my bike May 20th, 2006 I was off. On the eve of the trip, I was contemplating ‘was it the time to fess up to the following?;



  • That my Odometer was inadvertently set to measure Kilometers (although labeled as MPH) and with distractions of family and travel, I had only ridden 329 miles?

  • That in the little riding I did, that I loathed hills and with just 3 days before departure, I made my brother pick me up each day (to avoid the 2 mile 10% climb back to his house)?

  • That a physical chronic pain has haunted me daily for the past 18 months (and that I was feeling it at that very moment)?

Nope! Revealing such secrets would only weaken my own confidence. I am a firm believer of ‘what does not break you, makes you’. This was going to test that theory. I realised early on that I might be (or rather was) physically weaker than all of those here but I was head strong and planned to remain that way.

Everyone rode this trip for different reasons, many to pursue a life long dream and enjoy America. In addition to my intentions of saturating myself with the States, I set out with one objective and that was to ride ‘EFI – Every Fabulous Inch’. This is a very tough objective considering that there are so many variables, many risks beyond one’s own control (weather, pre-determined destinations and schedule regardless of how you feel and unpredicatable construction). And perhaps now is the time to say remember on Day 23 (of my blog), we (Lois and I were forced into a SAG – not just through a construction zone but against our will to the hotel). It was 8 miles. For me, it was a gnawing bit of defeat that I was trying to release and let go that day but simply could not shake it. I was not happy, although beyond my control, I felt failure. All things then changed as Lois approached me just before dinner and said
‘Annie – I came to ride EFI and I am going back to re-ride what we missed. Want to go?’ Oh yeah- game on! Like sneaking out of camp, we re-traced our route at 7:00 pm for an additional 14 miles. Oh what a sweet feeling that was! But we realised it also upped the stakes on going the distance, so we decided it was best kept secret. The following day, with 105 temperatures and nearly 75% of the group sagging in the frustration of nasty headwinds and heat exhaustion, I was more determined to go EFI (at least for the day), not wanting the previous days’ effort to be wasted. Fourteen bloody hours! It was undeniably grueling but going the distance was exhilrating. ‘Tough Cookie’ one fellow rider said to me. Oh yes I am! From then on, I never questioned if I could make it (as I had for weeks at the beginning).

Every aspect of this trip has been phenomonal. All in all, I was very pleased with this route and trip - it had great scenery and history with mostly backroads and fairly safe shoulders. We had great weather for the most part and even with the few dark days of rain, thunder, lightning and hail, it made for finding adventure and entertainment in barns. It seemed the sole unpredictable risk were the various bits of construction but this could be eliminated with the simple use of technology. As a group, we were all very lucky with just a few close calls with careless drivers. In all, we had a few incidents of ‘road rashes’ and just one broken collar bone. Not bad for a group of 50 plus cyclist traveling some 175,000 miles.

As I turned the corner into Rye, NH, the church bells were ringing out with Amazing Grace ‘ I once was lost but now I’m found’. How amusing, inspiring and reassuring! At this writing, I am enthusiastically energised on life and look forward to stepping back onto the career ladder taking my trip experiences with me.


I also might fess up that I am now a cyclist for life. Just days after finishing in Portsmouth, I had the urge to cycle. And with that, I attempted the summit of Mount Ascutney, a 3.8 mile, 12-18% grade in 50 minutes. In true Final Four style, I did not make the time but I made the hill. After just 50 days, a cyclist? Maybe. Another cross country trip? I hope so. So to all those armchair athletes, I say, get out there! You will surprise yourself with what you can do!




Comments:
Congrts on your finish! You have inspired me to go for it and sign up for the next cross country trip!

Tegan
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?